“CHANGE is inevitable!! Change is constant!!” ……..Benjamin Disraeli
Odd statement, right?? How can “change” be constant??
BUT…..it IS!! It is constantly a factor in our lives & businesses!! Let’s look closer at CHANGE!!
v. – make or become different; take or use another instead of; alter in terms of
n. – the act or instance of making or becoming different; give up (something) in exchange for something else; move from one to another; alteration or modification, variation, revision, amendment, adjustment, adaptation, metamorphosis, transformation, evolution, or mutation.
That one little word says a lot!! I like what Winston Churchill said, “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.”
My life changes on a weekly…no…daily basis!! I learned at a very early age that if I was going to survive & thrive, I had to make “Change” my friend!! I have lived in 32 different places in my life. The longest is where I live now, 13 years!!
I think that C.S. Lewis said it best, “It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird; it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present, and you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.”
It is the natural psychological & physiological reaction of humans to resist change, but we are actually quite resilient creatures. When supported through whatever the change is, we can adapt & be successful!!
What steps do we need to go through to successfully change…..
- we need to be aware that the change is needed
- we need to have the desire to support the change
- we need to gather the information to know how to make the change
- we need to acknowledge that we have the ability to demonstrate the new skills & behaviors needed to make the change
- we need reinforcement to make the change stick
Many businesses describe making changes this way:
- Identify the need for change
- Define the scope & objectives of the change
- Design the necessary solutions, processes, & systems needed to make the change
- Implement the solution, processes, & systems
- Monitor & review the change & its components & reassess & revise
- Reinforce & reward consistent changed behavior
Okay, NOW WHAT?? what ACTIONABLE steps can we take to make this change??
- If awareness of the need for change is lacking, discuss & explore the reasons for the change & its benefits. Also discuss & explore the risks of NOT changing versus making the change & why it needs to happen now!!
- If your desire to change is lacking, try to understand & address your fear of the change. Your motivating factor needs to be great enough to overcome your personal threshold to resist the change.
- If you need more knowledge about the change, avoid dwelling on the reasons for the change & negative factors, focus instead on education about the change & training needed in order to have the necessary skills & behaviors needed to move forward.
- If your ability is lacking, remember that time is needed to develop the necessary skills & behaviors. Also, ongoing coaching, mentoring, & support can improve your success rate tremendously.
- Reinforcement can come in several forms…incentives or consequences, positives & negatives. Make sure you use a systematic approach & application of knowledge, tools, & resources to deal with the change in a positive manner for success!!
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”….Maya Angelou
This is a raw overview of change & its process!! Stay tuned for Part 2 of this series to be successful in the changes you need to make in your life & your business for a successful 2017!!
Have questions or concerns or comments….just post in the comments or shoot me an email at Jaebyrd@jaebn.com. You NEVER know who else you could be helping with your questions!!
I hope this info is helpful!! If you have any questions or concerns or suggestions, please comment below or send me an email!! I promise I will get back to you as quickly as I can!!
🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*•.¸ 🌠🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*•.¸ 🌠🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*•.¸ 🌠
May Stardust & Moonbeams light your path….Hugzz ~ Jae