What ARE ‘limiting beliefs’??
‘Limiting beliefs’ are false beliefs that a person acquires as a result of making an incorrect conclusion about something in life.
a person could acquire a limiting belief about his ability to succeed as soon as he fails the first time. They are those beliefs which constrain us in some way. By believing them, we do not think, do or say the thing that they inhibit. And in doing so, we make our lives poorer & usually, less fun. They are about ourselves & our abilities & even our self-identity.
We learn our beliefs as children & then as we mature, we mold our lives around our beliefs.
IF they are so much a part of our being, can we ever CHANGE them?? YES!!
SO….how do we find them?? Where are they hiding??
Ask yourself these questions:
- What outcomes & results am I producing in my life??
- Are these results in alignment with my authentic self??
- Do these results serve me or hurt me?? Are they positive or negative??
- Is there something in my life that I want to change for the better but no matter what I do, it just doesn’t happen, it doesn’t get better??
Not surprisingly, limiting beliefs hide in those areas that the results & outcomes are NOT what we want!! They cause us to make decisions that really don’t serve us, but shape everything we do!!
They limit our opportunities or cause us to MISS opportunities all together!! They cause discouragement & cause us to quit!!
Now, how do we identify these trolls????
Yes, I said “trolls”!! Just like the trolls online that talk negative about us & bully us, these are internal trolls working the same way!! They make us doubt ourselves & question everything we do, until we are paralyzed with fear, doubt, & unbelief!!
Again, ask yourself questions like….
- What do I say to myself about this outcome/topic??
- What are my thoughts on this outcome/topic??
- Am I justifying why the outcome is not what I really wanted??
- Does this belief really sound true??
- Are my emotions negative about this outcome/topic??
Sometimes it is hard to get to the bottom of a limiting belief, but you will know you have gotten there when there are no more questions to ask about the outcome/topic!!
This is going to take some deep diving into your thought process & beliefs!! BUT….all that negative energy & the negative thoughts & negative outcomes can be changed to POSITIVE….IF….you are WILLING to do the work!!
This is something I usually work on first with my clients!! Sometimes just dispelling a limiting belief is all we have to do to turn their situation around!! Life can be hard, but we also make it harder on ourselves if we aren’t careful!!
Okay, how do we banish these trolls??
Focus Point: Identify the limiting belief
- Action Step 1: Ask the questions; what is holding you back?? Dive deep!!
- Action Step 2: Write down the limiting belief
- Action Step 3: What emotions are you feeling when you read & think about this limiting belief??
- Action Step 4: Recognize & acknowledge that these are JUST beliefs, NOT truths for you!!
- Action Step 5: CHOOSE….either you will argue, defend, & justify the limiting belief OR you will CHOOSE to banish it, as not serving you!!
- Action Step 6: Think about a different belief that has the outcome you want!! What does it sound like?? Look like?? How will your life be better because of the new belief?? You can acknowledge the lessons you have learned in the past from the negative outcomes, but frame it as lessons learned, in order to do it right now!!
- Action Step 7: Now that you have a new & improved belief, CHOOSE to do something different!! Take DIFFERENT action!! There is an old adage, ”If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten.” YOU have to CHOOSE to CHANGE something in order to get a different outcome!!
One of productivity’s biggest enemies is limiting beliefs!!
They can stop you in your tracks, cause you to keep making the same wrong decisions that lead to failure, over & over again!! They can paralyze you with writer’s block or cause you to keep putting something on the back burner (procrastination)!!
You may not recognize it at first, you’ll have to drill down!!
You just missed 3 weeks of writing a blog. WHY?? You had “other” priorities that you had to take care of, you didn’t feel well, you couldn’t think of anything to write about, you didn’t have the photos you thought you needed, etc. The list can go on….ad nauseum!!
- You don’t have to have the PERFECT plan
- You don’t have to do it all at once
- You can break it down into more comfortable baby steps so you can do one each day. (Each tiny step puts you one step closer to the outcome you want!!)
- You do NOT have to, nor should you, listen to that limiting belief!! See them for what they really are, just thoughts that are trying to hold you back!!
- Be brave, take that first small, but scary step in a different direction!!
- Limiting beliefs tie you down & HOLD you back….untether yourself & ….FLY!!
One of my favorite quotes says it all….”The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.”……Steve Jobs
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!
I hope the information in this post has been helpful for you. I am so glad you joined me on this Journey!!
PLEASE ask any questions you have, because you never know who you could be helping with your questions!! I WANT to hear from you!! Also, if you have any topics you would like me to cover, just let me know!! You can leave a comment here or you can just email me at Jaebyrd@jaebn.com with “Limiting Trolls” in the subject line.
I promise I will get back to you as quickly as I can!!