[[Well….there are no pics with this blog post & I am not even sure it will post!! My website seems to be broken since the WordPress update 4.6.1 last week!! I am having trouble finding help as I am a newbie to all this & not at all “techy”.]]
How we start our mornings sets the tone for our entire day!! So, what can you do to make your morning calm & that will set you up for a good day??
Mornings can be tricky & rushed. You & your family rushing around trying to get ready for school & work, all at the same time….in the same space can lead to mass confusion & forgotten things like permission slips, homework, that contract for work, etc.!!
When we feel rushed, it is a recipe for added stress & raises our cortisol levels & stresses our bodies & can raise our blood pressure. This is a poor way to begin your day. It can make you uneasy, put you on edge, & put a damper on the rest of your day.
Everyone rushing around trying to get ready, get dressed, trying to find everything you need for work & school…..homework, permission slips, books, planner, lunches, phones, etc. makes for added confusion!!
Making mornings less hectic involves having a strategy/routine to sort things out & organize the start to your day.
- The first step actually starts the night before. Unplug from all digital devices at least 30min before bedtime.
- Do a brain sweep…..this clears your mind & gets you ready for a good night’s sleep. This is just taking paper & writing down every thought that comes into your mind. Just sweep all those random thoughts, worries, concerns, plans, to do’s, etc. onto the paper. (Lay it aside as you will need this paper for when you sit down to plan.)
- Set your alarm for 30min earlier than you are used to getting up. Try to refrain from using the “snooze” setting!! Using the “snooze” setting & hitting it several times can cause you to feel more tired than when you went to bed!!
- Evening Routine is important & sets you up for a smooth start to your day. Also, it makes your Morning routine much better & less stressful!!
Evening Routine example:
- Unplug at least 30min before bedtime.
- Lay out clothes for next day.
- Gather anything that you will need to take with you to work/school. Have a designated “drop zone” near the door to put these things so you can easily grab them as you leave.
- If packing lunches, do as much prep work the night before as you can. That way it will be a quick assembly in the morning & ready to go.
- Do a brain sweep. This clears your mind & sets you up for a good night’s sleep.
- Set your alarm for 15min earlier than usual. This helps reduce stress also!! It gives you that little bit of extra time you may need when something unexpected happens!!
Morning Routine example:
- DO NOT HIT “SNOOZE”!! Put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, if need be, so that you have to get out of bed to shut it off.
- Take 5 min to look over your brain sweep list. Anything that needs to be done today gets added to your planner. This is also a good time to write a little in your journal. (Some people find it better to journal in the morning, some in the evening, & some do it both times. I journal right before sleep. I do my journaling, do my brain sweep, then go to sleep!!)
- Get cleaned up, get dressed.
- Eat a healthy breakfast as this really IS the most important meal of the day!! It FUELS your day!! Do you start off driving with an empty gas tank?? NO!!
- Have quick, easy breakfast foods available. Healthy choices…smoothies, cereal bars, oatmeal, & whole-grain cereals can be a fast & nutritious way to start your day.
This makes the transition into your morning less stressful & hectic. That prep work the night before, your night routine, really helps!!
What it boils down to is this:
- Decide on night & morning routines/rituals/strategies that work for you.
- Prepare the night before for a smooth, less stressful start to your day.
- Stick to your routines during school/work week.
- Sit down once a week & plan for the next week. This helps eliminate surprises or forgotten appointments. Include anything that needs to be done/scheduled from your brain sweep lists.
Mornings can be a bit tricky when family members are getting ready for school & work at the same time!!
“Practice makes Perfect!!”
Don’t give up!! Keep doing your routine, practice….practice….practice. Tweak your routine as needed, but give this a chance!!
It Really Works!!
I hope this info is helpful!! Please comment & let us know what your routine is!!
If you have any questions or concerns or suggestions, please comment below or send me an email at: Jaebyrd@jaebn.com!! I promise I will get back to you as quickly as I can!! I would LOVE to hear if this works for you, too!!
Thank you for being part of my world!!