I have a…. “SQUIRREL”…..type brain!! I am easily distracted & it is often VERY hard for me to complete my To Do List on any given day!! In fact, whole projects get lost!!
So, what do I do?? Good question!!
Took me a good while to figure out the difference between productive days & my SQUIRREL days!!
When I looked closely at a typical day, I found that I was flitting from thing to thing, no real direction or priority or plan of any kind. In fact, usually I ended up falling down the email, Instagram or Pinterest rabbit hole!!
Why was this so hard for me when I could teach clients how to avoid this trap??
I have no problem helping my clients to stay on top of things & how to successfully complete their plans, so why couldn’t i??
I finally figured out the elusive secret…..FOCUS!!
It is easy to say “focus” but doing it consistently is another matter. When you are sitting there in a state of overwhelm, fatigue & maybe fear & confusion, it is almost impossible to just “focus”!!
I am trying to practice what I preach…..PLAN & FOCUS!!
- The very first step is to do a Brain Sweep. You need to get every single thought out of your head & down on paper.
- Then categorize things & priorize the categories.
- Once you have things prioritized, determine your Action Steps needed to complete each Focus Point/task.
- Then once you have your Action Steps, SCHEDULE them into your planner, allowing adequate, realistic time for task completion.
- Make the Action Steps as small as possible as that will give you small victories & increase your motivation for the bigger picture.
- THAT is my “Flight Plan”!!
Okay, now we have a Flight Plan, but what prevents us from doing the “butterfly hop” down some rabbit hole?? How do we get this plan off the ground??
This is what gets stuff done!!
- Forgo lower priority or non-essential tasks. If it is not important, it doesn’t matter…..right now.
- You can always come back to it when you are done with your tasks for the day!!
- Ask yourself, “Does this need my attention RIGHT NOW??”
- Can I reschedule this??
- Will its completion affect the outcome of my focus point??
- Can it be delegated or does it need to be done at all??
- One thing at a time!!
- Set your attention on ONE task or action step at a time!!
- Hint…this is NOT easy….at first!!
- We are expected to multitask in today’s busy world, but we need to take a step back & reorganize our pattern of work!!
- Make sure you refocus on that one task until it is completed!!
- Tune everything else out!! Believe me you will get more done this way that you think!!
- Clarity is key!!
- When developing your Focus Points & Action Steps, you must be crystal clear in the outcome you want.
- Knowing what outcome you want will help to identify all the action steps that need to be completed.
- You need to drill down on a project or focus point until you hit bedrock….ALL required steps must be identified.
- Having clarity allows you to KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what you need to do to complete the project.
- Unplug & “Unroll”
- When you sit down to work, unplug all your other devices. You can check them once an hour or so but only for important #1 priority matters. This is paramount!!
- You need to cut the distractions/notifications!! IF you are waiting for an important call or meeting notification, fine, but Stand up to check it & don’t sit down until the device is put down again.
- Unroll.Me is a free service. It will collect all the subscriptions/emails in one place. You can roll them up for later viewing or you can even unsubscribe from the app. It is an enormously helpful app!! When I sit down in the evening, I can scroll through the emails it has collected & deal with them. That way, only my important emails get to my inbox!!
- Ungroup falls into this category too!! Now, really, how many FB Groups do you belong to….REALLY?? There are always Groups that are no longer of interest to us or that just don’t resonate with us any longer. UNGROUP!! This will save you all those notifications!!
- The groups I do belong to, I turn off the notifications unless I am expecting something important. FEWER DISTRACTIONS!!
- IF you determine your Focus Points, Action Steps, & FOCUS on completing your tasks, you WILL SUCCEED!!
- Once you succeed, THEN you can go down that rabbit hole!! ::teehee::
Overwhelm can be paralyzing!!
You feel as if there is just so much to do that you don’t even know where to start!! This FOCUS Flight Plan works!! My blog last week addressed the Nightly Routine I use to stay on top of things!! You can read it here: http://jaebn.com/the-nightly-routine-that-will-help-you-deal-with-burnout/
If you don’t deal with the overwhelm, its kissing cousin, Burnout, will be knocking on your door!! You don’t want that!!
The secret to staying on track is to have a Flight Plan!! Here are the steps I go through to eliminate overwhelm & burnout:
- Brain Sweep
- Categorize all items
- Prioritize the categories
- Determine Focus Points for each category
- Prioritize Focus Points
- Determine Action Steps for each focus point
- Prioritize Action Steps
- Schedule the Action Steps allowing reaistic & appropriate time for completion
- FOCUS & get ‘er done!!
If you break the Focus Points & Action Steps down to the smallest tasks possible, you will get things done quicker than you expect & you will be motivated to keep going!!
That bunch of stuff in your head is much easier to sort through once you have it on paper.
If you let the overwhelm spin out of control, it will paralyze you!!
By following my “Flight Plan”, you can finish your day with a feeling of accomplishment & success!! You will be that much more motivated to start the next day!!
Next week we will discuss “limiting beliefs” & the part they play in all this!!
One final note…..
remember that whatever fear you encounter, It is never as bad as you perceive it to be!! That is what fear is, an unrealistic perception & assumption regarding something. Facing our fear is far less harmful than we anticipate!! We need to stand up & face those fears!!
REMEMBER…..FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real!!
I hope the information in this post has been helpful for you. I am so glad you joined me on this Journey!!
PLEASE ask any questions you have, because you never know who you could be helping with your questions!! I WANT to hear from you!! Also, if you have any topics you would like me to cover, just let me know!! You can leave a comment here or you can just email me at Jaebyrd@jaebn.com with “Secret Sucess” in the subject line.
I promise I will get back to you as quickly as I can!!
🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*•.¸ 🌠🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*•.¸ 🌠🌠 ¸.•*´¨ ✫ ¨`*
May Stardust & Moonbeams light your path….Hugzz ~ Jae